Head of Academics
Deryk Eckersley (Deputy Headmaster)
Mr Deryk Eckersley has served on the staff of York High School since 1988. Deryk joined the staff fresh from his stint in the military as the senior Biology teacher. Over the years he has established himself as one of the top Biology teachers in the country and has consistently achieved outstanding Matric results. His services are sought by the WCED to assist schools in the Southern Cape. He has served as Head of Biology throughout his career at York, and was appointed Head of Department in 1994. In 2012 he was employed as SGB Vice Principal in charge of the Academic portfolio, in which he has excelled.
Deryk’s commitment to the school has been exemplary. Extramurally he has been involved in many facets, especially athletics and hockey, where he has been Tournament Director for York Easter for many years. He also served on the Provincial Executive of Boys’ Hockey. He has been involved in outdoor education and was one of the founders of the Grade Ten camp. From 1995 – 2011 Deryk served as Head of Grade for Grades 10, 11 and 12. He has served on the School Management Team since 1994 and has excelled as Portfolio Head of Sport, Grounds and Amenities and Academics at different times in this period.
- Bachelor of Science ( Honours ), Higher Diploma in Education.
- Head of Life Sciences 1988 – 2012, currently teaching Grade 12 Life Sciences
- Head of Department 1994 – 2014
- Head of Grade, FET level 1994 – 2010
- Head of Academics, Vice-Principal 2014
- Head of Academics, Deputy Headmaster 2015
- Sport 1994 – 2004
- Grounds and Amenities 2005 – 2012
- Governing Body Vice-Principal, Head of Academics 2013 -2014